Friday, June 22, 2007

Finding Inspiration



Dear Fellow Wisdomologists,
I have to admit, I have something of an addiction to books. And I think it can be traced to a genetic cause: my mother used to joke that while some men snuck into the house late at night with lipstick on their collars, my father would steal quietly into his den with a new book under his arm. Trying not to love books is like trying not to have brown eyes. And then I went and married someone who has the same bibliophilic issue as me. Our poor bookcases. Sometimes I think that if they could talk, they would be begging for mercy or advocating for the formation of a "Book Holder's Union of America".
But we can't help ourselves (or at least we don't want to): in times of trouble and in times of joy; in times of certainty and times of questioning, we turn to our books for comfort, solace, inspiration, entertainment and enlightenment.
Though I love to read a good book cover to cover, I sometimes ask a question, set an intention and flip a book open to a random page for guidance and inspiration. Just the other day, while I was wondering why it can be so hard to forgive, I opened Dr. David Simon's book The Ten Commitments: Translating Good Intentions into Great Choices and found a lovely quote by Hafez, the 14th century Persian poet, likening forgiveness to a treasure of silver. I realized upon reading this, that we often hold onto grudges and resentments as if they were the real treasure. We hide our resentments deep in the darkest crevices of our hearts as if we would be bereft without them (Haven't you ever felt "Nobody, but nobody, is going to talk me out of being angry. I have good reason for being resentful and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop.") How serendipitous (and what good fortune) to have found this quote, a little treasure in itself , tucked away in the pages of this book.
Try this yourself sometime. Focus on a question or an intention and then open the pages of a favorite book, you'll be surprised by what timely treasure you may find.

Lauren and James


Please Welcome Our New Members!
Here are a few people who joined us recently
_noi
Mirluinwen
This intriguing new Wisdomologist loves art, reading, nature and photography and tells us that
" . . .it seems like the older I get the less I seem to know and the scarier life gets for me."
She has already offered up many inspiring quotes and thought provoking questions. Visit her profile to find out more!
Pink
Pink is a woman of sincere faith who offers up this powerful thought:
"Remember life isn't about you, but about what you can do to change someone else's life!"
Visit her profile and welcome her to our wonderful community of teachers, learners, and seekers.


maggie marasco
Maggie tells us that:
Heart, Soul, Mind and Body - gifts gathered and gifts given," and on a lighter note goes on to say that "I've been told I have the courage of King David or that I am totally loony."
Visit Maggie's profile and learn more about this Theology Major with a concentration in English Lit. We are sure she will be of great benefit to the Wisdomology Community!
gurug
This new Wisdomologist shares the following bit of personal poetry in their profile:
"me
spiritual
a follower of Jesus
i live at peace with everyone and everything
i love life
i live with purpose
i am a constant learner"
We hope that gurug will learn from us, just as we hope to learn from gurug!

Thought Provoking Question of the Week
Wisdomology Member VisionCasting asks our community of seekers:

Is true wisdom universally applicable or relative to ones own experience? Can there be wisdom that transcends our singularity of experiences and is universally true? How can we differentiate?
Click here to answer this questions or to benefit from reading the thoughts of others who have pondered this question!
Meditation of the Week
Lauren posted this meditation, whose text is taken from Kent Keith's Paradoxical Commandments.
Written in the 1960's and later developed into a book, these words were so loved by Mother Teresa, that she posted them in her children's home in Calcutta.
The message is one of beautiful simplicity: Do good in this world for the sake of the One who created you.

Quote of the Week
New Wisdomology Member mirluinwen, featured above, contributed this quote:
“The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.”


1 comment:

TheModernGoddess said...

I understand your addiction. I'm a self confessed book-aholic.

PS: your blog column is not wide enough and your post is being cut off.